Summer can either be a drag on expenses or an opportunity to pick up some smart habits that save you money.
Most would agree that summer in Southern California is pretty amazing; the beaches and attractions are some of the best in the country and the warm nights make you feel like you’re on vacation. However, between fun activities and the costs of energy to keep cool, summer can either be a drag on expenses or an opportunity to pick up some smart habits that save you money.
Conserve = Save
Air conditioning costs can account for nearly half of your summer utility bill. Simply using your AC less is a start, but it’s important to consider how you can reduce the energy your AC consumes. Here are a few tips to achieve both in your home:
- Keep the filter in your central AC clean so it runs more efficiently and set your thermostat to 78 degrees or higher.
- Block direct sunlight to your windows with solar shade screens, reflective films, awnings or trees.
- Weather-strip or caulk drafty doors and windows to keep cooled air inside.
- Set your water heater to 120ºF, wash clothes in cold water whenever possible and clean the lint filter in the dryer after every use.
Given ongoing drought conditions in California, it’s more important than ever to conserve water. You may have heard about state rebate programs to replace your lawn or upgrade to low-flow toilets, which can make these sustainable upgrades much more affordable. Our advice – apply first! The funds for these programs are limited and not everyone may qualify. You can apply for some of these rebates at socalwatersmart.com.
Make San Diego Your Staycation Destination
Now that you’ve taken measures to conserve at home, it’s time for the fun part! If you live in or around San Diego, seriously – take a staycation. There’s a reason San Diego gets over 30 million tourists every year. Summer is the best time of year to take advantage of some of the low-cost entertainment that keeps visitors coming back.
Make the Summer Switch to SDCCU
- Visit Seaport Village or Balboa Park. Both are charming, picturesque and perfect for a summer outing.
- Check out a free concert in Balboa Park or on Coronado Island.
- Stake out a spot at Mission Bay Park for an up-close and free view of the fireworks at SeaWorld®. They happen on most summer nights at either 8:50 or 9:50 p.m.
- Go for a hike at Torrey Pines State Reserve.
- Visit sandiego.org for additional affordable or free activities around San Diego!
While you’re on a roll saving money, make this the summer you switch to SDCCU. Customers are offered special discounts, like up to 25% off Padres tickets at sdccu.com
/discounts. Going to a restaurant? SDCCU Paybacks™ puts cash back in your pocket when you pay with your SDCCU Visa® debit and/or credit cards at participating restaurants. On top of that, you may get even more cash back when you enroll your SDCCU debit or credit card with SDCCU Dining Deals™, powered by Mogl. Add some new restaurants to your summer fun and reap the benefits without breaking a sweat. Learn more at sdccu.com
If you’re looking for more ways to save up some extra cash for that trip you’ve been planning, apply for SDCCU’s Summer Saver Auto Loan®, which lets qualified buyers skip their auto payments every July and August. You can also save big on monthly service charges by opening a new FREE Checking with eStatements account. Whether you’re at the beach managing your money with SDCCU’s mobile banking app, getting great discounts at sdccu.com or enjoying cash back when you shop, let SDCCU help make this the summer you save.